Wednesday, April 11, 2012

biomimicry... it's for the birds


Actually, biomimicry is a really cool notion- we can learn and work on solving human problems by examining nature and its models, systems and processes.  And, birds flight is a good example of how we realized the feat of air travel.  

I'm attending a seminar at school this week, 'Environmental Responsibility: The role of NGOs and large organizations.'  Yesterday we had a presentation from Bellona and today was a gentleman from Friends of the Earth Norway.  It's pretty neat to see how they work, who they work with and the projects they are involved in.

One of Bellona's projects is The Sahara Forest Project and you can check it out here.  Sahara.... forest?!  I know, interesting stuff!

Our Friends of the Earth Norway presenter showed this video, and I thought it was something fun and inspiring to share.  It is, in large part, about biomimicry.  As we discussed in class, there are some other considerations not covered like costs.  But, overall I think Michael Pawlyn presents some cool concepts and out-of-the-box thinking that, to me, makes a lot of sense.  This is one thing I love about what I'm studying- there is so much amazing research going on with innovative and revolutionary ways to capture and use energy.  Support R&D, research will blow your mind.




If I could mimic something bio, what would I mimic? Hmmmmm.  What about you?

hugs,
lisa liv

No comments: